In a pre-internet age, an insurance broker’s ability to keep up to date with market developments was primarily dependent upon industry contacts, printed materials, and periodic exhibitions.
Attending an exhibition was a must, to ensure that you pressed the flesh, learnt about market developments, and kept abreast of changes.
In 2017, it could be argued that the strongest tool at a broker’s disposal is the internet, and that industry research can be conducted solely from the comfort of your desk.
So what exactly is the role of an exhibition in the age of the internet?
Simple. Exhibitions offer a number of elements that cannot be replicated by internet research. There are many factors that you should consider to ensure that you get the most out of BIBA 2017:
- Networking: Exhibitions are a perfect opportunity to grow your professional network, rekindle relationships, connect with peers, and meet new suppliers and business partners. Take lots of business cards!
- Stimulate your creativity: Exhibitions are a melting pot of innovative ideas and insights, which you can use to help grow your business. Be open to exploring new concepts. You never know when you may find an application for them.
- Test drive solutions: Exhibitions offer you the opportunity to get hands on experiences, or to discuss solutions directly with the supplier. It also allows you to conduct direct comparisons between suppliers to ensure that you select the best solution for your business.
- Get instant answers and expert advice: By meeting suppliers face-to-face, you can often get instant answers to your questions, or discuss your specific requirements.
- Fill your diary: Many exhibitors are taking appointments for meetings on the stand. If there is an exhibitor that you really want to speak to, why not arrange a meeting on their stand, to ensure that they are available?
- Raise your profile: Attending exhibitions is an excellent way to raise your professional profile, and the profile of your firm. It also qualifies as CPD, so make sure that you record it.
- Learn: Make sure that you attend the insightful educational seminars, which are often delivered by industry thought-leaders and innovators. It is the ideal opportunity to explore new-ways of thinking, keep up-to-date with emerging trends, and build your professional understanding.
- Understand the issues facing the industry. Exhibitions create a real buzz, which often centres on the most pertinent issues. By attending, you are able to better understand what your peers consider to be of utmost importance, voice your thoughts, and help move the industry forward.
- Fill the stationery cupboard. This may seem like a facetious reason, but exhibitors actually want you to pick up a pen. Their pen will reside on your desk for weeks if not months, subtly delivering their brand message. Don’t be shy about collecting a pen or two…
- Have fun: Attending an exhibition can be a very enjoyable experience. It is a great way of re-charging your professional ‘battery’ and motivating staff.
RWA will once again be attending BIBA on May 10-11. You are encouraged to visit our stand C64, to help us celebrate our 25th year in the insurance industry.
Those visiting the stand will also have the chance to learn about our market leading compliance consultancy service, and discuss your business challenges with representatives of RWA Solutions.
Visitors can also get hands on experience of the newly enhanced Aviva Development Zone e-learning platform, which we firmly believe is the best solution in the insurance industry. Visit stand C64 to try it for yourself.